Thursday, December 16, 2010

Food Time!

This recipe is the best for two reasons: 1- it's a healthier version of fried rice and 2- it's quick and simple to make. Now, I don't think that this is authentic fried rice in any way ( I don't even own a wok to cook it in,) but it tastes pretty darn good. And it makes great leftovers to take to work the next day, you know, if you are the type of person who goes to work everyday.

Samantha's Non-Authentic, Delicious Pork Fried Rice

Ingredients:
5-7 cups of cooked long grain brown rice (can be made the night before and refrigerated)
sesame oil, 2 tbsp
carrots, 2 cups sliced
green peas, 1 cup, fresh or frozen
mushrooms, 12oz sliced
ham, 8-10oz cubed or chopped
scallions, 2-3 stalks
eggs, 2 beaten and scrambled separately
soy sauce, to taste

In a wok or large pot, coat the bottom of the pan with the sesame oil and heat over medium-high. Add the carrots and peas; saute for 2-3 minutes ( I like for the edges of my carrots to be a bit brown.) Add the mushrooms and ham, cook for about 4-5 minutes or until mushrooms shrink and turn brown.

Next, turn the cooked rice into the wok over the veggies and ham. Toss gently or stir with a wooden spoon. Pour the soy sauce over the mixture and keep gently tossing to coat evenly. Next add the scrambled eggs and the scallions. Toss/stir a few more times and dish out in big bowls to serve. Use chopsticks if you are feeling authentic!


1 comment:

  1. At first I thought the meat was hot dogs. For some reason that was funny to me. But this actually looks good, minus the ham, plus tofu or chicken. Have I told you how much I love recipes but never cook, oh yeah, and I have 5 aprons. They are super cute!

    ReplyDelete